- Keep your home secure while you’re away by having a friend or neighbor check in on your house regularly.
- Make sure to lock all windows and doors, and keep your valuables out of sight.
- Set your home’s security system before you leave.
- Turn off all electronics and unplug them from the wall.
- Make sure to keep your car in the garage or parking lot, and lock it up.
- Do research about the place you’re going to and be aware of the local laws, customs, and culture.
- Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts.
- Keep copies of your passport, visa, and other important documents in a safe place.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash or wearing expensive jewelry.
- Keep your personal belongings close to you at all times.
- Don’t leave your luggage unattended.
- Be aware of pickpockets and other potential scams.
- Always have a plan for where you’re going and how you’ll get there.